Skip to main content

Flat Tap and a Flat Brewery Launch

For a few months Manchester has sounded like Salad Fingers with its constant repetition of the word Tap. There’s going to be a Tap. There’s going to be two Taps. There’s already a Taps that has nothing to do with these Taps. One Tap is owned by those that brought you other Taps and Tapped but the other Tap isn’t related to other Taps except that one Tap in London. TAPS.

Friday 20th March finally saw the launch of one of these Taps – the Piccadilly Tap on Station Approach – albeit a soft launch. My understanding is this is the Bloomsbury Leisure Tap, not the Pivovar one that was set to launch in Ancoats, but honestly my head is so full of taps I stopped caring weeks ago.  I’d read a few criticisms by Tweet of the Piccadilly Taps feeling unfinished, which is rather pointless considering it is unfinished and they have been very honest about that fact. It wasn't until Thursday though that I made my inaugural entrance to the place.

It's fairly easy to walk past the place as it blends discreetly in to the desolate, soulless Station Approach buildings, presumably designed to have the same character as the empty hearts of passing commuters, with ease. The decor for the downstairs is minimalist and this is even more noticeable by the sparse number of customers in there on my visit. There is to be an upstairs but that is not yet complete and the toilets are currently port-a-loos; the nicest port-a-loos I've ever seen mind. There are no bottles or fridges yet. There is a workman flat on his back with a rainbow of wires in his hand installing something behind the bar whilst I am drinking in there. But there are 27 beers on. 

The beers I try are all kept well, but they currently "do not have the capability to serve thirds" which is disappointing though it will obviously come in eventually. I'd heard Manchester isn't represented enough in the beer selection and there is too much Beavertown for my liking but I do manage beers from Cloudwater and Chorlton whilst here. Other customers I observe come in are rather incumbent of what all Taps, whoever they are owned by, have to face. One customer assumes they don't do cask as he can't see any pumpclips, then claims he needs to see clips to make up his mind, even though all the information he could possibly want is clear on an enormous wall. He must love him some branding. A few groups baulk at the prices and all settle on the cheapest pint they can see, which is naturally the weakest cask beer. Do us proud, Manchester folk. With cask on average around £3.60 a pint, this place is fairly respectable for our city centre. The keg seems comparatively cheaper to most places in the nearby Northern Quarter too. 

I'll reserve judgement on the Piccadilly Tap until its official launch, but even then I can see this being exactly as I expected: somewhere I will happily nip in before or after getting on a train, but rarely for more than a couple before moving on elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with that though. 

I left Tap for Port Street Beer House as there was to be the launch of Left Handed Giant Brewery later that evening. They weren't a brewery I knew anything about prior to the evening which made it all the more intriguing. As it is Left Handed Giant are a Bristolian brewery made up of Rich, Henry, Jack and Bruce (of whom three were present for the launch.) They presently test batch their beers on their own 200l kit before making these on a larger scale at other breweries, a la gypsy brewers. They were friendly, approachable and had brought 7 beers with them: 3 cask and 4 keg. 

The problem was that overall the beer was poor. The three cask beers - Pale, Porter and USPA - were all flat, thin and unenjoyable. The Porter was the best of the bunch, with enough roasted malts to make it passable but the insipid USPA was almost undrinkable, tasting like a bag of wet week-old salad. Me and my friend didn't manage to finish a half of any of these between us. 

The first two keg beers we drank were the Wiper & True collaboration Bristol Vice Sour Wheat that tasted like Hoegaarden mixed with Cloudy Lemonade that had been left in the sun for a week. No flavours married and, whilst there was much going on, it was a mess. The Weird Beard collaboration Mo-Rye-Arty at 9% had a little more depth, with some pleasant bitterness and rye haziness, yet it still felt thin and unaccomplished. 

The final two beers gave more promise. The Arbor collaboration Flat White - an 8.5% Imperial Coffee Milk Stout -  had lots of big roasty flavours and the sweetness the style craves, as well as having all the body of an Impy. The final beer, a hefeweizen called Mein Schwanz at 5.5%, also has decent potential with it's heavy banana flavours and a slightly tart straw saison yeast in the finish. 

I'm loathe to criticise a brewery  but this wasn't the greatest of starts. I hope there can be continued enhancement in the areas they've shown potential and that may well come with their own kit. They are obviously enthusiastic and have good contacts so will have the chance to develop. A launch at a place such as Port Street will certainly do them no harm but there’s no doubt there needs to be huge improvement to survive in an increasingly huge market with excellent quality.

Comments

Beermunster said…
If the cheapest cask pint is £3.60, it sounds like it is going to be priced on a par with Port Street. Think I'll go and have a look in a couple of weeks, once they have finished all the work, but if that's the price point they have decided to pitch their beer at we'll not be visiting on a regular basis.

Popular posts from this blog

Children and Dogs in Pubs and Bars

  I once took my niece to the pub. She was either 1 or 2 years of age. I often looked after her on Saturdays and on one of our weekly walks, for the first time, I stopped by the local pub, mainly because my friend was there with his daughter of similar age. The two kids got on well together and it was a lovely couple of hours; a perfect showcase of adult friends and their children existing in public houses. But my sister was furious. She didn’t rant or rave but her lips were purser than a 90s children’s show teacher. It was here that I learned of the effect that our childhood had had upon her. She recalls many an afternoon being bored in the corner of pubs that our Dad had dragged us to, arms folded in the corner with nothing to do, and she doesn’t want the same for her children. The idea of her first born being taken to pubs infuriates her; fearful that they would be subjected to the same unhappy experiences that she was.  I don’t recall those times in the same way as my s

"They Had Their Issues, So..."

      There’s a set of garages to rent as storage units near my workplace. One of them is taken by a local florist that uses it to store flower arrangements for various events, that are more often than not funerals.   As such, at least once a week at 8am I will pass a car being loaded up with flowers arranged into heart shaped patterns or the letters M U M. It is a grounding reminder that, as I mentally grumble my way through the upcoming arbitrary grievances of my ordinary working day, a group of family and friends locally is going through the hardest time. It provides much needed perspective on days when I could do with being reminded of all that I have to be thankful for.   These little moments explain to me why it is possible for us to share a communal loss when a celebrity passes away. Grief is often a personal and lonely experience, shared between a minority of people in your life. When a co-worker loses a relative or friend, it has little affect on me, bar signing of

The Ten Pubs That Made Me - Part 3: Dr Okell's / My Foley's Tap House and Leeds

A pint in Mr Foley's Tap House from December 2022     This is Part 3 (the fourth post) of an ongoing project. Please see the beginning of Part 0 for details.    Come the end of this journey, there may be a lesson in procrastination that I am unlikely to heed. These posts stem from a list that I made three years ago and a series that I embarked on 18 months ago. We’ve only now reached a 30% completion rate and with this post we are back to fail for the second time.   This odyssey began with a trip to Mr Foley’s Tap House in February 2022 – named Dr Okell’s bar on my first visits in 2005 – only to discover that it was closed. It did reopen by the time that the post was coming out and I managed a brief visit in December 2022. However, my July 1 st 2023 trip to Leeds, on which this post is based, is met with this sign at the door of the bar:      A quick check of social media shows an Instagram post from the day before (June 30 th ) announcing the closure of the