Skip to main content

Golden Pints 2014



 I learnt that there was going to be such a thing as #goldenposts this year far too late to do anything about it. Even my super memory isn't adept enough to recall posts to suit each category, but I'll be paying more attention this year so I can join in next time. Anyway, for the first year ever I've decided to deliver some #goldenpints even though I should probably be concentrating on catching up with my Advent Calendar posts.

Best UK Cask Beer – Easy. Magic Rock – Rapture. I’d forgive them if they sold their souls to have this in every pub up and down the land.

Best UK Keg Beer – I would love to award it to a Siren Craft Brew beer - Näcken – but I’m not sure if this counts as it was a collaboration with Omnipollo. If not then Buxton Brewery - Axe Edge has been terrific this year. 

Best UK Bottle or Can – It should be available more as Buxton Brewery – Wyoming Sheep Ranch has been offensively good this year. Easily the best IPA this country is producing (yes, better than Cannonball and Halcyon.) 

Best Overseas DraughtAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen. I would have had to think long and hard about this category. Then I was reminded why this is my favourite ever beer when this was on in Port Street last month and every other brewer can retire at that moment for me. 

Best Overseas Bottled or Canned Beer – Based solely on beers that I had for the first time this year, this simply goes to the sensational Omnipollo – Hypnopompa that I wrote about here and have sadly not seen this. 

Best Collaboration Brew – Another mention to Siren/Omnipollo - Näcken  which was almost as good as Schneider Weisse’s Hopfenweisse. I also awarded 5 Untappd Stars (a rarity indeed) to Brewdog/OskarBlues – Shipwrecker Circus and Brewfist/To Øl - Space Frontier. 

Best Overall Beer – Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen and the year that it isn’t is the year the universe implodes

Best Branding, Pumpclip or Label – I do love the simplicity and brilliance of Omnipollo. Special mention to Vagrant Brewing however for their Hip Hop themed G-ness
 
Best UK BreweryContinues to be Magic Rock Brewing who seem to get right every style they approach

Best Overseas Brewery – Whilst there are a few classic ones to mention, I think in terms of innovation I constantly love everything To Øl do.

Best New Brewery Opening 2014 – I’ve not had anybody new consistently enough really but I discovered Runaway Brewery only in November and now seek them out whenever possible

Pub/Bar of the Year – Plenty of great places in Manchester city centre now that could get the vote but it would be very wrong of me not to give it to Stalybridge Buffet Bar since they treat me like royalty and have improved their beer selection no end. 

Best beer and food pairing Thornbridge Tzara with most takeaways, but specifically mild, fruity curries

Beer Festival of the Year – It’ll be the obvious choice but I just can’t see past Indy Man Beer Con 2014

Supermarket of the Year – I don’t have a local Waitrose and all my big name local supermarkets seem sorely lacking compared to other parts of the country. However, after discovering the selection in Booth’s whilst in Windermere and then finding the one in Media City, Manchester, they are unrivalled on selection anyway. 

Independent Retailer of the Year – I’ll always be a Beermoth man, but special mention to Saddleworth Real Ale Shop that opened this year and my recent discovery in Ashton-Under-Lyne: Browton’s. 

Online Retailer of the YearBeers of Europe. Best selection and exceptional service. Would it be wrong to name and shame the worst one as I discovered this month? 

Best Beer Book or MagazineI haven’t read anything released this year, but did read The Lost Beers & Breweries of Britain by Brian Glover for the first time this year and enjoyed it.

Best Beer Blog or WebsiteJust last month I may have rather drunkenly been sat in North Bar, Leeds and aggressively told Matthew Curtis (Total Ales) and Chris Hall (Chris Hall Beer) that they are the best two writers in the country.They are my two favourite blogs anyway.
 
Best Beer AppThe answer should always be Twitter.
 
Simon Johnson Award for Best Beer Twitterer – I don’t think he needs any more awards but think we all enjoy David Bishop’s (@Broadfordbrewer) Dad jokes, Twatty Beer Doodles and just general Twitter engagement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children and Dogs in Pubs and Bars

  I once took my niece to the pub. She was either 1 or 2 years of age. I often looked after her on Saturdays and on one of our weekly walks, for the first time, I stopped by the local pub, mainly because my friend was there with his daughter of similar age. The two kids got on well together and it was a lovely couple of hours; a perfect showcase of adult friends and their children existing in public houses. But my sister was furious. She didn’t rant or rave but her lips were purser than a 90s children’s show teacher. It was here that I learned of the effect that our childhood had had upon her. She recalls many an afternoon being bored in the corner of pubs that our Dad had dragged us to, arms folded in the corner with nothing to do, and she doesn’t want the same for her children. The idea of her first born being taken to pubs infuriates her; fearful that they would be subjected to the same unhappy experiences that she was.  I don’t recall those times in the same way as my s

"They Had Their Issues, So..."

      There’s a set of garages to rent as storage units near my workplace. One of them is taken by a local florist that uses it to store flower arrangements for various events, that are more often than not funerals.   As such, at least once a week at 8am I will pass a car being loaded up with flowers arranged into heart shaped patterns or the letters M U M. It is a grounding reminder that, as I mentally grumble my way through the upcoming arbitrary grievances of my ordinary working day, a group of family and friends locally is going through the hardest time. It provides much needed perspective on days when I could do with being reminded of all that I have to be thankful for.   These little moments explain to me why it is possible for us to share a communal loss when a celebrity passes away. Grief is often a personal and lonely experience, shared between a minority of people in your life. When a co-worker loses a relative or friend, it has little affect on me, bar signing of

The Ten Pubs That Made Me - Part 3: Dr Okell's / My Foley's Tap House and Leeds

A pint in Mr Foley's Tap House from December 2022     This is Part 3 (the fourth post) of an ongoing project. Please see the beginning of Part 0 for details.    Come the end of this journey, there may be a lesson in procrastination that I am unlikely to heed. These posts stem from a list that I made three years ago and a series that I embarked on 18 months ago. We’ve only now reached a 30% completion rate and with this post we are back to fail for the second time.   This odyssey began with a trip to Mr Foley’s Tap House in February 2022 – named Dr Okell’s bar on my first visits in 2005 – only to discover that it was closed. It did reopen by the time that the post was coming out and I managed a brief visit in December 2022. However, my July 1 st 2023 trip to Leeds, on which this post is based, is met with this sign at the door of the bar:      A quick check of social media shows an Instagram post from the day before (June 30 th ) announcing the closure of the